With three months left in this year’s eligibility, the Television Academy continues to make and announce some changes with the Primetime Emmys. The 66th Annual Awards will be handed out to winners this August but not without a few changes.
In keeping this as brief (and least confusing) as possible, the Emmys will make the following changes:
- Outstanding TV-Movie and Outstanding Miniseries will be separate categories after being conjoined for a few years.
- Performance (Actor, Actress) for TV-Movie and Miniseries will, however, remain merged.
- Outstanding Reality Program – non-competition – will split into two categories ~ Outstanding Structured Reality Program (e.g “Mythbusters”) and Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program (e.g “Duck Dynasty”)
- Outstanding Voice-Over Performance category will split into Outstanding Narrator and Outstanding Voice-Over Character Performance.
- The number of Outstanding Comedy and Outstanding Drama nominees may expand from six to seven IF a show’s first-round votes are within 2% from the 6th place series
- The number of nominees for Outstanding Technical Direction/Camerawork/Video for a Series will expand from 5 to 6
Well, there you have it. The 66th Annual Primetime Emmys will air Monday, August 25 LIVE at 8/7c on NBC! The Creative awards will be handed out on August 16th.
What do you think about these changes? Personally, I’m not sure “structured” and “unstructured” are the best terms for their Reality TV expansion, but what do I know?