CBS has announced the cast for the upcoming Survivor season, Redemption Island.
Basically, the premise is when a contestant is voted off, he or she won’t leave the game completely but go instead to Redemption Island, where he or she will face off against the next person voted off in a duel. The winner lives on to face the next arrival at Redemption Island until one person left standing has a chance to return to the game.
“We did a haphazard version of Redemption Island a few years ago called the Outcasts,” host Jeff Probst told EW. “It didn’t work and it didn’t please the audience and there was one fundamental flaw – we didn’t tell people up front it was going to happen … So I have no problem with people coming back into the game because everybody knows up front. A rule can’t be unfair if you know going in. It’s an equal opportunity.”
Another new rule this season? Producers can “quit” quitters. After the fans and players complained over NaOnka Mixon and Kelly Shinn remaining on the jury after quitting the game, Probst announced that the producers will bow be given the discretion on whether or not to leave them off the jury. Chase Rice, who came in second, believes he would have won the game if this rule had been in place in his season.
Now, on with the new cast! Are you excited?
• Andrea Boehlke, 21, former marine: “I’ve been raised on a farm my whole life, and I’ve been hunting since I was 12 and fishing and camping, so I’m not too worried about the elements.”
• Mike Chiesl, 31, student: “The great thing about Survivor, though, is nobody’s shooting at you, I’ll take that over going on deployment to Iraq any day.”
• Matt Elrod, 22, pre-med student: “Out here when people feel alone and isolated, I have a warmth towards people that I think they’ll respond to and want to keep me around and probably trust me.”
• Ralph Kiser, 44, farmer: “I’ll make you laugh your ass off, because I say things not proper.”
• Francesca Hogi, 36, attorney: “There’s a mean girl inside of me, I terrorized some girls in elementary school.”
• Krista Klumpp, 25, pharmaceutical rep: “I competed for three years in the Miss Alabama pageant and then two years in the Miss Alabama USA pageant.”
• Kristina Kell, 46, law student: “I’m a complete package.”
• David Murphy, 31, defense attorney: “I think I’m going to have to start the game taking myself down a notch, It sounds awful to say it but I’m going to have but I’m going to have to bring myself down to their level.”
• Grant Mattos, 29, yoga instructor: “I played professional football for the San Diego Chargers, the Denver Broncos and the Tennessee Titans.”
• Stephanie Valencia, 25, waitress: “I’m always right even when I’m wrong, I always get my way just because I know how.”
• Phillip Sheppard, 52, technology executive: “I have a terrific smile and when I really let it pop, you look at that smile and it disarms you.”
• Sarita White, 36, visual effects producer: “It’s a good group, so that of course makes me excited but also like, what’s the catch?”
• Natalie Tenerelli, 19, professional dancer: “Of course I’m going to use my girly instincts, I can be flirtatious and I hopefully will know when to stop.”
• Julie Wolfe, 50, firefighter: “I’m newly divorced. I have 100 percent custody for two children and I’m paying alimony, I’m paying child support and my house is in foreclosure.”
• Ashley Underwood, 25, nurse: “I really think pageants get a bad rap sometimes, but in all honesty, it really takes a lot of mental toughness.”
• Steve Wright, 51, former NFL player: “I played for the Cowboys, the Baltimore Colts, the Indianapolis Colts, the Los Angeles Raiders.”
Also rumored to return to the cast are fan favorites (or fan villains if you prefer) Boston Rob Mariano and Russell Hantz, and there are two “question mark” boxes under the cast area at the official CBS Survivor site. Rumor has it that Rob and Russell will lead their own teams until the merging, and have immunity until that happens. This is all speculation mind you, but we already have many fans unhappy if this is true. Watch the video below to “Meet the new cast!”
What do you think? Do you like the new rules and new twist? Do you want Russell and/or Rob to return? Let us know below or in the FORUM!